The Fire Inside

Over the past few days I’ve been grappling with the topic of this post. On Tuesday, I visited Emthunzini Primary School in Mamelodi, east of Pretoria. My visits usually consist of me sharing my dream of flying with the kids, the history of aviation and encouraging kids to dream big. Followed by a dialogue with them, where they’re given an opportunity to ask questions, etc. This visit however, was different. As I was talking to them, all I could think of was that I was standing in the presence of dreamers, dreamers who, sadly, because of their environment and circumstances have been robbed of their innocence. Yet, despite the negativity that encompasses them, the belief in their dreams and unwavering faith that they can overcome any obstacle is uninterrupted.

On my way home that day, I thought of a 13 year old boy I met earlier who asked me which subjects he needs to take in high school to study ‘magistration’ after school, as he wants to become a magistrate. (As disappointed as I was that he didn’t want to become a pilot, after my INCREDIBLY dreamy story of flying and persistent pursuit to create more pilots,) I chuckled a little inside, answered him and begged him never to let the fire to pursue his dreams die. I knew that he knew what I meant, and he responded with a simple ‘I have enough matches.’

As adults, it’s important to regain the child-like faith we once had. All of us have dreams we have yet to achieve. Know that it is possible. It's not over until you win. I leave you with one of my favourite quotes by Ayn Rand, “Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark…. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.”

Until next time,

Kelly






Comments